I would not... , especially with the LP. I am so sorry, it is so difficult. But surgery is a risk and especially with the pre existing problem already. I would go for pain meds and comfort and if that does not help have you tried acupuncture. It did amazing things for our Abbey... this is a tought time, but sadly age is against him. Maybe a more holisitc vet could help??
Thanks, Ronnie. Yes, I had my holistic vet come out yesterday and she did acupuncture. He was okay last night and this morning, but has not moved since his morning feeding and pee. He hasn't even rolled over for hours and hasn't been out since about 10 am. I have a huge towel between his legs because I know he has to pee. That I will deal with, but it's his pain that just kills me. Now, he is on Tramadol and Ace when needed.
I think it kind of depends on the type of surgery.have a look at a uk program called supervet where he does spinal surgery and most of his dogs are up and around fast.
However with his existing conditions l would prefer to make him comfortable with meds and assess his quality of llife.have you looked at doggy wheelchairs to ease his mobility issues so at least he can get around.
When Snuffles ruptured his CCL last September, all the Newf owners who answered my inquiry here and Facebook said they would not do surgery, and he was 10 and a half at the time based on age and recovery time. You have a older dog with other issues. I doubt I would do it either.
The ace will make him tired and not want to get up. I'd stop it. I'd talk to the vet about adding Previcox or some Nsaid with the tramadol. Also ask about Gabapentin. It is for nerve pain. Chase takes all three of these together. If your vet won't do all three I'd insist on the gabapentin along with an Nsaid. Since the Nsaid will reduce inflammation.
I would not do it either...at this age I don't think it is ever a good idea. I would give Tramadol and NSaid together all the time...not just when you think he needs it...I give my Jake both everyday for his spinal issues. He has not been in pain since on it...I wish you all the best as this is so hard to go through with our seniors.
Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry this is happening. I too don't think I would do the surgery at his age, but you're the one who has to make that decision. I do have 6 Gabapentin and 16 Previcox left of Gracie's pain meds and they are yours if you want them.
My advise would be - Nope. My girl has the same problem. Our vet advises not to operate - treat and manage. She's been doing fine for over two years with meds and controlled activity. She has learned not to do stairs, no running, etc. and she's doing fine. See Avatar to left.